View all Photos
Very attractive, spacious blue water cruiser
Lying: United Kingdom
|Manufacturer / model
|Moody 471 Custom - SOLD
|Serendipity of Swanwick
|New or used
|Tax / VAT status
|Paid / included
|Very attractive, spacious blue water cruiser
|Exeter, United Kingdom
|Number of berths
|Number of cabins
|9 berths (2 doubles and 5 singles)
2 Heads, both with shower.
Separating bulkhead in forward cabin removed to give larger cabin.
Moody 471 Custom for sale.
Sorry, this yacht is now SOLD
For our full list of other yachts for sale please see the Yachts for sale section
Do you have a similar yacht for sale? If so we are always seeking quality cruising yachts for active buyers. For more details please see the Sell Your Yacht Section
A really attractive looking yacht, that would be an excellent choice as a long distance cruiser. Huge amounts of living space and stowage and a powerful sea kindly hull that will cover the miles in safety and comfort.
She has been well set up by her owners for long distance cruising and has had many upgrades. Most notably the old teak deck has been removed and replaced with non-slip GRP. The cockpit teak has also been replaced with new teak, and the standing rigging and sails have all been renewed in recent years.
Full details in the specification section but highlights include:
New GRP Deck
New Cockpit Teak
New Upholstery - Alcantara (2016)
Recent interior varnish
New Standing rigging 2011
New Sanders Mainsail 2012 - fitted 2013
Genoas and cutter sail new in 2002, 2004 and 2009
240 volt washing machine
3 bladed folding Brunton autoprop
SpecificationBOAT NAME: Serendipity of Swanwick
MAKE & MODEL:
• Moody 471 Custom
• Bill Dixon design 1986
• Centre cockpit
• Full Ships Register
HULL MATERIAL: GRP
• GRP hull, deck and superstructure mouldings carried out under Lloyds approved conditions. GRP rudder with stainless steel stock and bronze heel fittings.
• Cable steering system
• Osmosis treatment carried out professionally in 1997
LENGTH OVER ALL: 14m/47ft
LENGTH OVER WATERLINE: 11.81m/38.75ft
KEEL TYPE: Sheel Keel (added in late 1990s)
DISPLACEMENT: 12,477 kg
ENGINE MODEL: Perkins M90, new in 96. Serviced and new oil cooler fitted 2015
ENGINE HP: 82
ENGINE HOURS: 3577 in May 2013 - TBC
SAIL DRIVE OR SHAFT DRIVE: Shaft Drive
DATE LAST ENGINE SERVICE: Oct 2015
FUEL TYPE: Diesel
• Main Tank 162 Litres,
• Aux belly tank with electric transfer pump 135 litres
• two portable stainless fuel tanks 162 litres in the lazarettes with transfer pump
WATER TANKAGE: 545 litres
HOLDING TANKAGE: 2 x 90 litre grey water holding tanks
AGE OF STANDING RIGGING: New 2011
DATE LAST ANTIFOULED: Oct 2014 - out of the water since Nov 2014
• Spacious accommodation throughout and all interior joinery is in excellent condition
• Forepeak is given over to guest heads compartment with sea toilet, wash basin and shower and the locker area has been professionally modified to install a full sized top loading 240 volt washing machine. Hanging lockers are retained to the side of the washing machine. Access to large forepeak storage locker.
• The forward 2 cabins have been professionally modified to a single cabin with 4 bunks, hanging locker and storage. This is a well ventilated, light, airy cabin with access to ensuite forward heads.
• The main saloon has two U-shaped seating areas around a large drop-leaf dining table, seating around ten people. The starboard side converts to a guest double berth.
• Aft of the saloon to port is the impressive chart table capable of taking a full sized Admiralty chart, with bookcase and drawer storage space. The navigator chair swivels and has armrests.
• Walk through to impressive owner’s stateroom with large walk around double island bed, dressing table with mirror, hanging lockers and seating areas.
• Ensuite heads with sea toilet with holding tank, wash basin and separate shower stall with curtain and hatch to engine room.
• Throughout the accommodation there are electrical sockets for use on shore power and cabin heating by Webasto heating system. Approximately 80% of the domestic lighting is LED.
NUMBER OF SEPARATE SLEEPING CABINS: 2:
TOTAL NUMBER OF BERTHS: Sleeps 9 in 2 doubles and 5 single berths in 2 cabins and saloon.
• Large cabin forward of the saloon containing 4 single berths, with access to ensuite forward head.
• Pilot berth on port side of saloon.
• Starboard side of saloon can convert to double berth with custom made upholstered insert cushions.
• Aft ensuite owners cabin.
DOES SALOON CONVERT TO BERTH: Port side is single with lee cloth and Starboard side can convert to a double berth.
NUMBER OF HEADS: 2
Two heads compartments both with sea toilet with holding tank, hand basin and shower with lots of storage space and surfaces.
GALLEY AND GALLEY EQUIPMENT:
The galley is a large secure L-shaped area aft of the saloon on the starboard side.
• Plastimo Azores 3 burner with oven on gimbles with substantial crash bar for the cook.
• Twin stainless steel sinks with pressurised hot and cold water and manual fresh and saltwater taps.
• Large top loading fridge
• Large tiled worktop space and plenty of storage for cooking utensils and food
• Gas locker with Solenoid shutoff.
• Keel-cooled fridge compressor (fitted 2012) placed in the engine compartment to reduce heat generated in the saloon. This means fridge can be run while on the hard. The original fridge compressor (re-gassed 2011) and plates are still in place as a back-up system
• Several electrical sockets for use on shore power
• Extractor fan and wired, ceiling mounted ventilation fan.
• Access to Engine room
Cutter Rig with self-tacking staysail:
• New Sanders in-mast reefing Mainsail, made in 2012, first fitted 2013.
• No 1 Maxi Roach on Bamar furler 2003
• No 2 Lucas on Sea Furl furler 2007
• Staysail on Furlex furler age unknown
RIGGING AND SPARS:
Cutter Rig with self-tacking staysail:
• New standing rigging in 2011.
• Keel stepped Kemp Alloy mast and boom.
• Carbon Kevlar spinnaker pole on mast mount.
• 2 sets of spreaders and jumper stays fitted by Boalch.
• Bamar Electronic furling genoa.
• Sea Furl furling inner headsail.
• Furlex self-tacking furling staysail
WINCHES AND DECK EQUIPMENT:
• 2x Lewmar 30 ST Halyard winch under sprayhood
• 2x Lewmar 55 ST Primary winches
• 2x Lewmar 42 ST Sheet winches
• 2x Lewmar 30 ST Sheet/spinnaker winches
• Mast mounted Lewmar 43 ST and Lewmar 16 ST winches with Andersen in mast furling winch
• 1x portable electric winch which can be used to adapt any sheet winch to electrically powered
GROUND TACKLE AND WINDLASS:
• Anchor and 110m of chain (approx.)
• Horizon 1500 electric windlass with foot controls and handheld switch
• Electric Anchorwash system
• Stern Anchor on roller
• Large storage locker accessed through double doors aft of chain locker houses controls for anchor wash system and hand held windlass control
BOW THRUSTER/FOLDING PROP/ ROPE CUTTER:
• Bow thruster upgraded from the original to a larger Vetus bow thruster model in 2008.
• 3 bladed folding Brunton autoprop, just returned from Bruntons after having full service and new bearings.
• Ambassador Stripper rope cutter.
• Raymarine RL70 Colour Radar/Plotter on Navpod swivel mount
• 2 x ST60 Wind speed and direction
• ST60 Log, Speed and depth
• Sestrel steering compass
• Two autopilots: Old George (ST5000) and young George (ST6000), both working. Young George is interfaced to Nav instruments
• 12v socket
At Chart table:
• AIS receiver fitted, with Laptop connection at the chart table.
• 2 channel Echomax Radar enhancer
• SSB HF Radio with auto tuner fitted in 2011
• Garmin 128 GPS, output to a laptop.
• Remote Autohelm control
• Raytheon ST60 Wind angle and speed
• VHF with DSC
ENTERTAINMENT/TV/CD AND RADIO:
• Mast fitted TV Antenna
• CD-Radio fitted, new speakers in 2016
• 4 x 100 AH domestic batteries
• 120 AH Engine battery
• New battery charger, Phase III 80 Amp (fitted 2011)
• Shore power cable
• LED mast headlights
GENERATOR/WIND GENERATOR/SOLAR PANELS:
• 2 x 80w Solar panels with control system mounted on A frame (new, fitted 2011)
• KISS - High Output wind generator
• Piping and mount for a generator in the engine compartment
• Avon canister life raft with custom mount on aft deck rail
• Two horseshoe lifebuoys mounted on deck rail
• Deck jackstays
• Plastimo Safety ladder
• JonBuoy MOB Recovery module
• Stainless steel safety bars at mast
• 4 lifeline strongpoint padeyes in cockpit
• Lee cloths/boards to all berths
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
DINGHY AND OUTBOARD:
• Avon inflatable rollaway on davits
• 4HP Yamaha
• New GRP non slip deck (2016)
• New accommodation hatches ocean rated (2016)
• New sliding hatch and washboards (2016)
• Simpson 820 Stainless steel dinghy davits
• Stainless steel guardrails, stations, pull and push pits.
• Guardrail gates with steps on both sides
• Fender baskets
• Dorade vents
• Bimini and sprayhood
• Bimini extensions made to fully cover aft section
• Shower on bathing platform
• New teak decking on bathing platform (2016)
• New teak decking in cockpit (2016)
• Removable varnished cockpit table
• Custom made cockpit cushions
• Winch handle pockets
• Soft Elk hide steering wheel cover
• Concealed bilge mounted ship safe
• Custom made stainless steel hatch bars to fit main companionway hatch and accommodation hatches.
• Full size top-loading washing machine
• Newly upholstered Saloon cushions in Alcantara (2016)
• Webasto warm air and water heating system fitted new in 2007
Serendipity has had just two owners from new. The first owned her for 20 years and reluctantly sold to downsize to a yacht more suitable for an 80 year old. He modified her to make her easy to sail short-handed. He and his wife made numerous trips across Biscay and cruised the north and west coasts of Spain and Portugal, and to the Azores returning to Plymouth each year.
The current owners bought Serendipity in 2011 as a well-made, strong, seaworthy go-anywhere yacht, roomy and safe for family cruising in the Mediterranean. She was upgraded before departure with additional safety, power generation and accommodation features.
While cruising it became apparent that a boat built primarily for the UK waters could be improved for hot climates. The owners therefore made the following alterations:
• The forward two cabins were professionally modified to form one large open cabin.
• A Frigo keel cooler compressor unit was added in the engine compartment, to keep any heat generated away from the living areas.
• The Bimini was extended aft to the A frame and a bimini was custom made to sit over the boom in harbour.
Serendipity returned to the UK and was taken out of the water in November 2014 for major refit and refurbishment. All the cabin windows were removed and resealed and new ocean rated hatches fitted throughout the accomodation. The tired teak deck was removed and new GRP non slip decks professionally fitted; new teak was laid in the cockpit, the swim platform and steps. The hull was cut back, repaired and polished. The propeller was refurbished by Brunsons including new bearings. The interior woodwork and flooring was sanded and re-varnished. New headlining was installed throughout and the saloon cushions were reupholstered in alcantara fabric. The Perkins engine was fully serviced and the oil heat exchanger was replaced.
The current owners comment that Serendipity has been a perfect yacht for family cruising:
“On loading up for departure, it became apparent how suitable Serendipity was for living aboard – we managed to get most of the contents of a 4 bed house and 3 children’s mountains of ‘stuff’ stowed neatly away in the cavernous lockers, along with enough food to feed an army! We also welcomed many visitors during our 2 year adventure and Serendipity comfortably accommodated two families – each with their own heads, which made life aboard very agreeable.
The accommodation below was really spacious and the large saloon table was perfect for home-schooling. We particularly loved the large centre cockpit arrangement which gave safe deck space for all the family and meant that even moored aft-to in a marina, the yacht felt private and secure. Serendipity is easy to handle with a small (and young!) crew and is very manoeuvrable in marina with its powerful bow thruster. She cruises at a steady rate and feels safe in the lumpiest waters.
We regularly lay at anchor and were pleased to never require the generator as the solar panels kept up with our energy needs and when in marina, the full sized washing machine came into its own and was the envy of many a neighbouring yacht. We were also regularly amazed, on visiting other yachts, how voluminous the storage aboard Serendipity was in comparison with other boats of a similar size. It is with great regret that we must return to ‘normal life’ and place Serendipity on the market, but hope that she will provide another family with an adventure as wonderful as ours. ”
Available to view by appointment
Please note all our listed yachts are privately owned and located in the owner's home port or marina. Due to the varying geographical marina locations of our yachts and the subsequent travel time and distances involved, please only make travel arrangements to view if actively considering purchase.
Office Hours Mon- Fri 09.00 – 17.30
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange an appointment please contact John Rodriguez Yachts
Tel: +44 (0)7505 485 950
Due to the specialist nature of the yachts we sell, our yachts are not in one central location but berthed at their owner’s home port in different marinas along the UK South Coast. Therefore for private views, we will drive to the individual marina location to meet you at a pre-arranged day and time. Details of all vessels are offered in good faith. The correctness/accuracy of these particulars is not guaranteed and they do not constitute a part of any contract. We cannot guarantee nor warrant any vendor/third party supplied paperwork or vessel condition. A buyer is strongly advised to instruct his agents or marine surveyors to investigate such details as desired validated. All vessels offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. John Rodriguez Yachts is a trading name of John Rodriguez Yachts LLP Reg. No. OC416718 (England & Wales) Registered office C/O Connect Accounting, 15 Western Parade, Herts, UK, EN5 1AH. VAT No: 180730322. FCA FRN 676493
Very attractive, spacious blue water cruiser
Lying: United Kingdom
Enquire about this Boat
All viewings by private appointment.
Please note as a specialist broker, all of our yachts are privately owned and located at their owner's home berth in different marinas across the UK and are not in one location for general viewing.
Therefore, we are happy to travel to meet you at the yacht's home marina at a pre-arranged date and time for a private inspection.
Due to the travel times and distances involved, these appointments are for serious enquiries only and where the yacht is being assessed as a possible purchase.
For more informtion fill in the simple enquiry form on this page or telephone:
Tel: +44 (0)7505 485 950
Normal Office Hours Monday to Friday 09.30 – 17.30
Saturday by prior appointment.